Discover the importance of diethyl phthalate in the cosmetics & skincare industry, and how it is used as an ingredient in some of the most popular items.
Diethyl Phthalate is the group of materials that adds more flexibility to an object. This is one of the most prominent reasons why this chemical is widely used in toys, vinyl, wall coverings, food packaging, detergents as well as cosmetic and personal care products. Diethyl Phthalate is formed by the chemical reaction of phthalate with ethanol in the presence of concentrated sulfuric acid. The versatility and ease of use of diethyl phthalate make it ideal for an array of applications. Diethyl phthalate is colourless, odourless, and an oily liquid. The significant properties and characteristics of this chemical along with its steady composition make it lucrative to use diethyl phthalate for cosmetic and fragrance manufacturing,
Here are some prominent characteristics of Diethyl Phthalate:
1. Plasticizer: Diethyl Phthalate is used as a plasticizer for the manufacturing of nail polish. The distinct nature and varied properties of Diethyl phthalate reduce the brittleness to the nail polish and reduce the cracking of the same. Using diethyl phthalate in nail polish reduces the fragility of the nail paint and facilitates its application too. Diethyl phthalate improves the overall appearance and finesse of the nail polish post the application. Moreover, it also reduces the chances of breakage and uneven finish.
2. Solvent: Dimethyl Phthalate is widely used in hair sprays and gels. Also known as DMP Dimethyl Phthalate adds more stiffness to the spray and ensures long-lasting impact. The DMP when sprayed on the hair creates a seamless transparent film on the hair and prevents fizziness too. Diethyl phthalate is used as a solvent in the manufacturing of hair sprays. DEP (Diethyl Phthalate ) ensures easy movement of the spray and allows one to effortlessly spray the hair spray post the hairstyles.
3. Fixative: Diethyl Phthalate is also used as a fixative while producing fragrance products. It allows the setting of the fragrance and enhances its scent too. Diethyl Phthalate also aids to augment the shelf life of the perfume, deodorizers, and other fragrance products. Over the years, Diethyl Phthalate has been an impeccable part of fragrance products and merchandisers due to its exceptional fixative properties.
4. Penetration: One of the greatest characteristics of Diethyl Phthalate is its optimum absorption. DEP can immaculately absorb and penetrate. When applied dermally it can penetrate the skin within a few seconds. Therefore, many skin ointments and moisturizer creams have DEP as one of their main ingredients. However, due to recent amendments and changes in FDA rules DEP is not extensively used in cosmetic and skincare products.
5. Durability: The addition of diethyl phthalate in any product can increase its overall performance and durability too. The colourless oily liquid ensures long-lasting wear and great finishing. It is often used to soften or plasticize beauty products so that they can be applied with utmost ease and do not wear off easily.
6. An array of Applications: Diethyl phthalate is very easy to blend. The unique characteristic and scientific properties of this exceptional chemical compound allow one to use it for a plethora of beauty and personal care products such as body wash, hair care products, and body lotions. Diethyl Phthalate is colourless and can enhance the application of a beauty product and therefore, it is widely used for the formulation of cosmetic and skincare-related products.
The Bottom Line:
Diethyl Phthalate is one of the most common ingredients in cosmetic and skincare-related products. It improves the durability, application, and shelf life of beauty products. It can be used in a varied combination of phthalates to achieve the desired results and augment the application of the product.